You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to remove the little arrow on my safari icon

I want to remove the little black arrow on my safari icon in the dock and on the desktop

Posted on Jul 16, 2023 8:43 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2023 9:05 PM

You do not need Safari on your Desktop especially since you also have it in your Dock, but if you do, then it will have that alias arrow because the original file will always remain in the Applications folder and the arrow just means that clicking that file will take you to the original. If you still want a alias to Safari on your Desktop:

• Open Applications Folder
  • Drag Safari Icon to Desktop

P.S. When you delete the alias files that are denoted with the little black arrow, it does not delete the original. It just deletes that link to the original file.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 16, 2023 9:05 PM in response to roslyn05

You do not need Safari on your Desktop especially since you also have it in your Dock, but if you do, then it will have that alias arrow because the original file will always remain in the Applications folder and the arrow just means that clicking that file will take you to the original. If you still want a alias to Safari on your Desktop:

• Open Applications Folder
  • Drag Safari Icon to Desktop

P.S. When you delete the alias files that are denoted with the little black arrow, it does not delete the original. It just deletes that link to the original file.

Jul 16, 2023 8:53 PM in response to roslyn05

If you mean the little black arrow in the lower left. This means it is an alias to the original file that is in your Applications folder.

To use the original Safari Icon in the dock:

• Quit Safari
  • Drag Icon out of the Dock
  • Open the Applications folder and find Safari.
  • Drag the Safari Icon to the Dock

For the Desktop, you do not need an alias to the original Safari App there if you have it in your Applications folder. It can simply be dragged to the trash to remove from the Desktop.

I want to remove the little arrow on my safari icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.