You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to change my appleid to a different email

When I try to change my apple id to a different email from a defunct cox.net userid, and I enter a password (and I think the password requested is for the cox email account online login) I am told that the password is incorrect.

But I have checked the password on cox.net for my userid, and the exact same string allows me to access the account that fails for the appleid check. Perhaps some other password associated with some other applish thing is being requested but I have no idea what it is expected. Anyone have some suggestions on what to try or some documentation that explains why a password that still works (for 90 days) is returning in red "incorrect password" The password is correct and works for cox.net userid that forms my detested appleid. How can I break out of this process failure to change my appleid to use an email value that will be valid (for some time). I am stuck.

Posted on Jul 17, 2023 11:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2023 11:48 AM

The password that you need is your Apple ID password, not your old email account password.

For example, if your old email is yourname@cox.net and your password for your email is 12345

and your Apple ID is yourname@cox.net, you would typically have some password other than 12345 for that.

In other words, you use your cox email address as your Apple ID but you would typically have a password for Apple that is different than your email password.

If you only have one Apple ID (your defunct cox.net userid), the password would be the one that you used to log into this forum.

Also see: Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

The only password needed is in step 1:

1. Go to appleid.apple.com and sign in.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 17, 2023 11:48 AM in response to CoxAccountCannotBeChanged

The password that you need is your Apple ID password, not your old email account password.

For example, if your old email is yourname@cox.net and your password for your email is 12345

and your Apple ID is yourname@cox.net, you would typically have some password other than 12345 for that.

In other words, you use your cox email address as your Apple ID but you would typically have a password for Apple that is different than your email password.

If you only have one Apple ID (your defunct cox.net userid), the password would be the one that you used to log into this forum.

Also see: Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

The only password needed is in step 1:

1. Go to appleid.apple.com and sign in.

I want to change my appleid to a different email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.