You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I safely remove the battery cover on Apple AirTag?

When I press down on the battery cover on the Apple AirTag, it does not move at all. How can I get it to move so I can replace the battery?

I am having trouble replacing the battery in my Apple AirTag

[Edited by Moderator]

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Jul 22, 2023 9:35 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 12, 2024 5:36 PM

We were able to get the AirTag open by using one of those small rubber jar gripper mats that people use to, of course, help open jars.

5 replies

Jul 22, 2023 9:38 AM in response to Eddfromhere

1. Press down on the polished stainless steel battery cover of your AirTag and rotate counterclockwise until the cover stops rotating.
  2. Remove the cover and battery.
  3. Insert a new CR2032 lithium 3V coin battery (available at most electronic and drug stores) with the positive side facing up. You'll hear a sound indicating that the battery is connected.
  4. CR2032 batteries with bitterant coatings might not work with AirTag or other battery-powered products, depending on the alignment of the coating in relation to the battery contacts.
  5. Replace the cover, making sure that the three tabs on the cover align with the three slots on the AirTag.
  6. Rotate the cover clockwise until it stops.

If you can't get it removed I suggest you take it into an Apple Store or Apple Authorized service provider for assistance: Contact - Official Apple Support

How can I safely remove the battery cover on Apple AirTag?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.