You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Fingerprint sensor not responding on MacBook Air

After I came back from a month long trip, i tried opening my laptop as usual and it asked me to unlock with a code which i thought was the standard practice, but after i closed it and opened it again it didn't automatically unlock using my finger print ID instead i had to click on the enter password and then type the password. I thought it's a bug and I shut down the machine completely and restart it and went through the same process but it still didn't work. I looked for updates, installed them, restart the machine and it still didn't work. It hasn't worked since then. I erased all the fingerprints and tried installing them again and it doesn't register.

I don't understand what happened but my fingerprint sensor isn't working.

MacBook Air M2. bought it a few months ago

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 9, 2023 10:27 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2023 10:29 AM

I Have tried everything to get my MacBook Pro M2 touch ID to work. What I did discover is that if I use the bottom of my palm (where my thumb is) and let it touch the area beside the trackpad, then touch the ID with my index finger - It works every time. Plus this worked for my wife's MacBook as well! Don't know why it works, it just does - every time. Hope it works for you too.

Similar questions

37 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 3, 2023 10:29 AM in response to Tzapples

I Have tried everything to get my MacBook Pro M2 touch ID to work. What I did discover is that if I use the bottom of my palm (where my thumb is) and let it touch the area beside the trackpad, then touch the ID with my index finger - It works every time. Plus this worked for my wife's MacBook as well! Don't know why it works, it just does - every time. Hope it works for you too.

Dec 9, 2023 10:49 AM in response to DaftBeast

Yes!! omg this totally works. I was having the same problem - touchid worked maybe 1/3rd of the time. Then I used your approach of resting my palm at the bottom of my thumb next to the trackpad, then use touchid, and it works EVERY TIME now. Magic.

"I have tried everything to get my MacBook Pro M2 touch ID to work. What I did discover is that if I use the bottom of my palm (where my thumb is) and let it touch the area beside the trackpad, then touch the ID with my index finger - It works every time. Plus this worked for my wife's MacBook as well! Don't know why it works, it just does - every time. Hope it works for you too."

Aug 9, 2023 1:15 PM in response to Tzapples

Please try this

Try using Touch ID after each step:

1. Make sure that you have the latest version of macOS.
  2. Make sure that your fingers and the Touch ID sensor are clean and dry.* Use a clean, lint-free cloth to wipe off any dirt or debris on the Touch ID sensor.
  3. Your finger should cover the Touch ID sensor completely. While Touch ID is scanning, you shouldn't tap too quickly or move your finger around.
  4. Choose Apple menu  > System Settings (or System Preferences), click Users & Groups, then click the lock  to make changes. Click Login Options, then make sure that Automatic login is off.
  5. Choose Apple menu  > System Settings (or System Preferences), click Touch ID & Password, then turn on the setting to use Touch ID to unlock your Mac.
  6. Try to add a different fingerprint. Choose Apple menu  > System Settings (Or System Preferences), click Touch ID & Password, then click Add Fingerprint.
  7. For Magic Keyboard with Touch ID, turn your keyboard off and on, then connect your keyboard to your Mac with the USB to Lightning cable. After you turn Magic Keyboard off then on, Touch ID may be unavailable for up to 10 seconds.
  8. Restart your Mac.

Sep 21, 2024 10:16 PM in response to Tzapples

Hey! I’m sorry to hear about the trouble you’re having with your MacBook Air’s fingerprint sensor. Here are a few steps you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Clean the Sensor and Your Finger: Ensure both the Touch ID sensor and your finger are clean and dry. Use a clean, lint-free cloth to wipe the sensor
  2. Update macOS: Make sure your MacBook is running the latest version of macOS. 
  3. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC):
  1. Re-enroll Your Fingerprints:
  1. Check for Hardware Issues: If none of the above steps work, there might be a hardware issue. You can contact Apple Support or visit an Apple Authorized Service Provider for further assistance.

I hope one of these solutions helps! If you need more detailed guidance on any of these steps, feel free to ask.

Thanks & Regards,

Basu

Fingerprint sensor not responding on MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.