You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't generate an app-specific password

I can't generate an app-specific password. Two-Factor Authentication is enabled. Get message.

Continue on one of your devices

On an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch go to Settings > Apple ID. On a Mac go to System Preferences or System Settings > Apple ID.

I follow this steps in the message and nothing happens. Still unable to generate an app-specific password

Posted on Aug 11, 2023 4:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2023 4:17 PM

This doesn't work. There's no add button on the MacBook at least, it has a gray button that say "Generate an app-specific password". When clicked, you're prompted to add a name and click "create" but that's when it gives that error...

On an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch go to Settings > Apple ID. On a Mac go to System Preferences or System Settings > Apple ID.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 12, 2023 4:17 PM in response to Limnos

This doesn't work. There's no add button on the MacBook at least, it has a gray button that say "Generate an app-specific password". When clicked, you're prompted to add a name and click "create" but that's when it gives that error...

Aug 11, 2023 7:45 PM in response to dantepoet

Follow the steps in Sign in to apps with your Apple ID using app-specific passwords - Apple Support

How to generate an app-specific password

1. Sign in to appleid.apple.com.

2. In the Sign-In and Security section, select App-Specific Passwords.

3. Select Generate an app-specific password or select the Add button , then follow the steps on your screen.

4. Enter or paste the app-specific password into the password field of the app on your device..

Aug 18, 2023 11:02 AM in response to cshearer2

This is a new issue. When I first posted that I didn't know that it even was an issue. I have now (for your benefit mostly) posted what I have found to most likely be the current resolution. I do not work for Apple so I only have resources that are available generally. If you are unhappy about issue I suggest you address it to Apple at Product Feedback - Apple

so they know there is a problem that needs resolving.

I can't generate an app-specific password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.