You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook temperature sensor doesnt work

Hey, I have MacBook Pro 2019. If I don't run it with constant value with mac fans control, my fans never runs, no sensor based value works, even deleted mac fans control, fans never works, even when computer is very hot. Also kernel_task makes computer unusable. I came to the conclusion it is because there is a problem with temperature sensors since kernel_task uses high cpu even when computer is not that hard. What to do to fix it?

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on Aug 25, 2023 4:35 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2023 5:11 PM

Based on what you describe your conclusion is correct. Only Apple or an AASP will be able to make a final determination regarding the various thermal sensors and provide a repair estimate. To get it fixed contact Apple, here: Official Apple Support.

Try running Apple Diagnostics: Diagnose problems on Mac - Apple Support. Its result will be useful when contacting Apple. If it reports "no trouble found" and kernel_task is still occupying an inordinate amount of CPU time then an SMC Reset is justified: Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

For reference: If kernel_task is using a large percentage of your Mac CPU - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 25, 2023 5:11 PM in response to botan210

Based on what you describe your conclusion is correct. Only Apple or an AASP will be able to make a final determination regarding the various thermal sensors and provide a repair estimate. To get it fixed contact Apple, here: Official Apple Support.

Try running Apple Diagnostics: Diagnose problems on Mac - Apple Support. Its result will be useful when contacting Apple. If it reports "no trouble found" and kernel_task is still occupying an inordinate amount of CPU time then an SMC Reset is justified: Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

For reference: If kernel_task is using a large percentage of your Mac CPU - Apple Support

Aug 25, 2023 5:06 PM in response to botan210

botan210 Said:

"Macbook temperature sensor doesnt work: Hey, I have MacBook Pro 2019. If I don't run it with constant value with mac fans control, my fans never runs, no sensor based value works, even deleted mac fans control, fans never works, even when computer is very hot. Also kernel_task makes computer unusable. I came to the conclusion it is because there is a problem with temperature sensors since kernel_task uses high cpu even when computer is not that hard. What to do to fix it?"

-------

Troubleshooting Overheating Mac:

It might be a bug in the update. Apple might come out with a fix, but they'll only know of this if it is reported.

Report this to Apple:

Do your Part: Report this to AppleApple may not get back to you directly, but the more feedback Apple receives on this, the more they will know what is going on, and what needs to be fixed in upcoming updates.

1. Go Here: Feedback - macOS - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: on when this issue began, and how you have troubleshot it thus far. Include the URL to this thread.
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

Macbook temperature sensor doesnt work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.