You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my purchased app not sharing with my family member in Family Sharing? I followed the recommended steps from her iPad, but the version that downloads is the unpaid version instead of the paid version I already purchased

My wife had an app already downloaded, but it was the unpaid version. We are on a family sharing plan. I then downloaded the same app and decided to pay for the extra features. My understanding is that i can share the purchased version with her. So I removed the app from her ipad, then followed the steps by going to Settings and finding myself and the app, and downloading it back onto her ipad. Once it was finished downloading I opened it to find that it was asking her to pay for the extra features. I chose “Restore Purchased” through the app and nothing happened. Am I misunderstanding the concept of “Sharing Purchased Apps” with family members on my family plan?

iPad Pro

Posted on Sep 4, 2023 8:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2023 8:49 AM

Some apps come in two versions, a free one with limited features, and a separate version where all features are available. An alternate model involves unlocking features inside the app with an in-app purchase. In-app purchases cannot be shared with other users in your family. Your wife would likely need to pay separately to unlock her copy of the app. Details should be there, albeit in small print, on the app store page for the app in question.

tt2

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 4, 2023 8:49 AM in response to VinoVet

Some apps come in two versions, a free one with limited features, and a separate version where all features are available. An alternate model involves unlocking features inside the app with an in-app purchase. In-app purchases cannot be shared with other users in your family. Your wife would likely need to pay separately to unlock her copy of the app. Details should be there, albeit in small print, on the app store page for the app in question.

tt2

Why is my purchased app not sharing with my family member in Family Sharing? I followed the recommended steps from her iPad, but the version that downloads is the unpaid version instead of the paid version I already purchased

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.