You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use a late 2012 27" iMac as monitor for 2017 MacBook Air?

My late 2012 iMac is running Catalina, my 2017 MacBook Air is running Monterey. Both are up to date versions. Talked to 2 different Apple techs and got 2 different stories about if I can use the iMac as a monitor for the MacBook Air. One suggested all I need is a USB C to USB adapter, then a USB cable. The other lead me through a long involved discussion about macOS compatibility, and finally needing a Thunderbolt 2 cable to connect the 2 devices.

Are either or none of the above going to get the job done? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Posted on Sep 11, 2023 1:35 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2023 2:00 PM

Hi Lighthouse1a,

Apple basically killed off Target Display Mode (use the iMac as a monitor), but surprisingly your devices might support this feature if you're willing to downgrade macOS.

The full requirements are detailed here: Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support (CA)

In a nutshell:

• The iMac must run macOS High Sierra (10.13.x) or older
  • The 2017 MacBook Air must run macOS Catalina (10.15.x) or older
  • In your case, connect the two computers using a Thunderbolt 1 or 2 cable.

If you want to proceed with downgrading macOS (not recommended), let me know and I can try to help.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 11, 2023 2:00 PM in response to Lighthouse1a

Hi Lighthouse1a,

Apple basically killed off Target Display Mode (use the iMac as a monitor), but surprisingly your devices might support this feature if you're willing to downgrade macOS.

The full requirements are detailed here: Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support (CA)

In a nutshell:

• The iMac must run macOS High Sierra (10.13.x) or older
  • The 2017 MacBook Air must run macOS Catalina (10.15.x) or older
  • In your case, connect the two computers using a Thunderbolt 1 or 2 cable.

If you want to proceed with downgrading macOS (not recommended), let me know and I can try to help.

Use a late 2012 27" iMac as monitor for 2017 MacBook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.