You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages - Can’t Open Doc

I have so many documents that I could open and use freely, that I now suddenly can’t after a new version of the app comes out. Is there any workaround for this? I’m now considering not ever using Pages again. I doubt this would happen with Microsoft Word. Also, why does Pages make a copy of a doc and then open that? And then there’s all these copies of the doc on my iPad.

Posted on Sep 21, 2023 3:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2023 5:51 AM

The last version of Pages (v13.1) came out three months ago. It will only open undamaged .pages, .doc, .docx, .rtf, .rtfd, and .txt files, regardless of platform. It may not open some Word documents depending on their age, or if they are damaged, and rarely, even MS Word will fail to open some Word documents too.

Why Pages makes a copy of a document when you open it may be pilot error as that does not happen for me when using Pages on iOS, iPadOS, or macOS.

See: Pages User Guide for iPhone - Apple Support

No other word processing application will open your Pages documents except Pages, so abandoning Pages before exporting each document to Word .docx (may not be accurate conversion) would leave you with unusable documents. If you export to PDF, then MS Word v16.31 or later will convert the PDF into .docx.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 21, 2023 5:51 AM in response to geordie647

The last version of Pages (v13.1) came out three months ago. It will only open undamaged .pages, .doc, .docx, .rtf, .rtfd, and .txt files, regardless of platform. It may not open some Word documents depending on their age, or if they are damaged, and rarely, even MS Word will fail to open some Word documents too.

Why Pages makes a copy of a document when you open it may be pilot error as that does not happen for me when using Pages on iOS, iPadOS, or macOS.

See: Pages User Guide for iPhone - Apple Support

No other word processing application will open your Pages documents except Pages, so abandoning Pages before exporting each document to Word .docx (may not be accurate conversion) would leave you with unusable documents. If you export to PDF, then MS Word v16.31 or later will convert the PDF into .docx.

Pages - Can’t Open Doc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.