You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone messages

I tried sending an iMessage to a friend that has iMessage as well. Usually it goes through blue and says delivered. Today, I tried sending an iMessage and the message went through as blue but did not say “delivered.”

After a few minutes the blue messages turned green and said “ sent as a text message.” Why would a message go through as blue and the same message turn green?

iPhone 12, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 12:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 1:02 PM

PoolGirl777 wrote:

I tried sending an iMessage to a friend that has iMessage as well. Usually it goes through blue and says delivered. Today, I tried sending an iMessage and the message went through as blue but did not say “delivered.”

After a few minutes the blue messages turned green and said “ sent as a text message.” Why would a message go through as blue and the same message turn green?

When imessage is unavailable it will send it as a SMS this is due to either your or the recipient is in an area with a weak wifi/cellular data signal or has imessage turned off.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 22, 2023 1:02 PM in response to PoolGirl777

PoolGirl777 wrote:

When imessage is unavailable it will send it as a SMS this is due to either your or the recipient is in an area with a weak wifi/cellular data signal or has imessage turned off.

iPhone messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.