You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring old files from Time Maching

I have a mid-2011 iMac running 10.13.6. I run Time Machine every day, so eventually the disk fills up. TM then deletes older files to make room for my current ones. It then gives me a message saying it had to do this, and tells me the oldest date remaining on the backup disk - currently May 2022. I've always understood this and it's OK by me.

However, when I go to 'Enter Time Machine' it only shows backups to May 2023. Its 'backups.backupdb' file does, in fact, have entries back to 2022. How come 'Enter Time Machine' doesn't include everything back to 2022? Can I not recover a file older than May 2023?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts -

• TheOldFart

iMac 21.5″, 10.13

Posted on Sep 25, 2023 11:59 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Sep 27, 2023 12:01 PM in response to tbirdvet

Hello again tbirdvet

Yup, it's me again. That shift-command-C trick works sometimes - goes to the sidebar's 'xxx's iMac' which shows me xxx, xxx.1, xxx.2 ... and lets me get to all the backups. But more often than not when it goes to 'xxx's iMac', it just shows me all my volumes. When I click on the destination volume, it just shows the open volume and does not let me get to the older backups. Does it always act that way or am I missing something?

• TOF

Restoring old files from Time Maching

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.