You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The security shield in safari version 17

The security shield has disappeared in safari version 17 except for Private browsing. Is this suppose to happen in version 17?

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 3:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2023 12:31 PM

Thanks for clarifying jrrt08080.

It sounds like you might need to add back the Privacy Report button to your Safari toolbar on your Mac. That is an icon that looks like a shield and helps you see who was blocked from tracking you.

Customize the Safari browser window on Mac

1. In the Safari app on your Mac, choose View > Customize Toolbar.
  2. From the window that comes up, choose the Privacy Report button  .
  3. Drag that icon to the area on your Mac Safari toolbar you'd like to have it set.
  4. Click Done.

Here is more information about Privacy Report: See who was blocked from tracking you in Safari on Mac

That should accomplish what you are asking for. If you still aren't able to see that icon, or the issue it still a bit different, let us know.

All the best.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 30, 2023 12:31 PM in response to jrrt08080

Thanks for clarifying jrrt08080.

It sounds like you might need to add back the Privacy Report button to your Safari toolbar on your Mac. That is an icon that looks like a shield and helps you see who was blocked from tracking you.

Customize the Safari browser window on Mac

1. In the Safari app on your Mac, choose View > Customize Toolbar.
  2. From the window that comes up, choose the Privacy Report button  .
  3. Drag that icon to the area on your Mac Safari toolbar you'd like to have it set.
  4. Click Done.

Here is more information about Privacy Report: See who was blocked from tracking you in Safari on Mac

That should accomplish what you are asking for. If you still aren't able to see that icon, or the issue it still a bit different, let us know.

All the best.

Sep 30, 2023 10:34 AM in response to jrrt08080

Hi jrrt08080,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! If a third party app is not working, we would recommend the steps below that can help:

If an app on your iPhone or iPad stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open

1. Close and reopen the app
Force the app to close. Then open the app to see if it works as expected.

2. Restart your device
Restart your iPhone or restart your iPad. Then open the app to see if it works as expected.

3. Check for updates
To see if updates are available for the app, open the App Store, tap your profile icon, then scroll down to see if updates are available. If updates aren't available for the app, update the software on your iPhone or iPad.

4. Delete the app, then redownload it
Delete the app. When you do this, you might lose data that was stored in the app. Then redownload the app. Then check to see if the problem with the app is fixed.

If you found the app on the App Store, contact the app developer

Hope this helps!

Have a great day.

Sep 30, 2023 11:04 AM in response to Lissy_12

Thanks for responding. I think I was not very clear in my question. I am referring to the small grey security shield that appeared to the left of the address bar on my Mac. You could click on it and it would tell you what websites were tracking you, and how many trackers were blocked. It now only appears when in Private Browsing mode. Since I updated to Version 17 of Safari it seems to have disappeared. It was not an app, and I am not referring to an iPhone or iPad. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

The security shield in safari version 17

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.