You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail - 'remove attachments' is greyed out

I'm using Apple Mail (16.0) on a MacBook Air (M1) running Ventura 13.6. The option to 'remove attachments' under Message in Mail is permanently greyed out and trying to delete attachments results in the email being deleted.

I sometimes get emails with quite large graphic attachments and purely to save space I would like to delete the attachment but retain the email. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.6

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 2:22 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Sep 28, 2023 10:30 AM in response to alun severn

alun severn wrote:

I'm using Apple Mail (16.0) on a MacBook Air (M1) running Ventura 13.6. The option to 'remove attachments' under Message in Mail is permanently greyed out and trying to delete attachments results in the email being deleted.

I sometimes get emails with quite large graphic attachments and purely to save space I would like to delete the attachment but retain the email. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

I can not reproduce the issue.

—You can try quitting Mail and relaunch it holding the Shift key down.

—You can try a SafeBoot Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

no insight or resolve—

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Sep 29, 2023 1:39 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis, thanks. On trying again yesterday I had exactly the same experience: I found that on some messages the 'remove attachment' option worked exactly as it should; on others, it was greyed out. I wonder if this is something to do with the way the attachment has been attached... Or whether, as you suggest, it simply doesn't work very well...

Apple Mail - 'remove attachments' is greyed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.