You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Private browsing opening on its own

Please help. I have an iPad Pro 12.9 and I SWEAR I do not go on private browsing on it. However, my wife will go on safari from time to time and it will have a private browser open. This makes her think I’m doing something shady when I’m not and it’s legitimately making want to shoot myself. If anyone can help, please let me know how to make this stop.

thank you.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 17

Posted on Dec 2, 2023 7:27 PM

1 reply

Dec 3, 2023 5:52 AM in response to Novilibertas

Private Browsing is an integral feature of Safari. While the feature cannot be disabled, you don’t have to use it…

See >>> Turn Private Browsing on or off on your iPad - Apple Support

To access Private Browsing in iPadOS15/16/17, it is necessary to first summon the Safari Sidebar using the button at upper left of the screen [1] - and from the menu tap the Private toggle button [2].

To return to regular browsing, tap the sidebar n Tabs button (highlighted here in blue), that appears above the Private button. Until re-enabled, Safari will remain in its normal browsing mode.

You might also consider that outside of Educational or Business/Enterprise deployments, iPad and iPhone are principally intended to be single-user (i.e., not shared) devices.

Private browsing opening on its own

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.