You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is this "Legacy developer: hp" asking to change my extensions?

I have the new operating system "Sonoma 14.2.1" on my 2020 Macmini. I keep getting a pop up asking for my computer's password so it can change something in my Apple settings, I think extensions. This is what is asking: Legacy developer: hp. This is similar to the previous question about the same popup occurring upon the questioner's computer's startup. They didn't give the details about their OS. I'm not sure when it occurs, since I leave my computer on most of the time & restart only to change the OS, when requested.

Mac mini, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 7, 2024 7:20 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2024 8:21 AM

I just followed the directions of iZac100 in this earlier thread on this topic:: How clear "System Extension Blocked" mess… - Apple Community

Basically, I also no longer have an HP printer so I deleted all the HP extensions in the Library/Extensions folder. I then did a restart and this problem was gone.

2 replies

Feb 6, 2024 1:23 PM in response to hazelmurray2006

I am having the same problem, several of these "Legacy developer: hp" attempting to load at startup, and being rejected as not authorized. I am wondering if it could be from HP Printer drivers that are no longer in use? They would get into the list of .kext extensions from a Time Machine backup being loaded to transfer to an new machine. Because the messages are all generic and listed several times, it is impossible to know what the extensions are attached to. However, in my case I did have an HP printer a long time ago attached to a previous machine. And this machine was built from a Time Machine backup of that old machine. If such is the case, I'm thinking to go into the Extensions folder and delete all of the .kext extensions associated with HP printers, and see if that corrects the issue. Any thoughts? My only reservation is that HP doesn't stand for Hewlett Packard, and it is something completely different.

What is this "Legacy developer: hp" asking to change my extensions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.