You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari shows more tabs open than actually open.

I noticed the other day while doing some browser clean up something unusual. I have two tabs open but it shows I have thirteen on the browser history page.

Has anyone encountered this before? If so how did you resolve the issue. I did a few things to try to resolve this on my own.

1. Factory reset with new Apple ID
  2. Visited Genius Bar to have it looked at. They found no hardware issues and suspected it might be book marks causing the issue. I’ve since been able to verify that book marks are not the problem.

My phone has never been jail broken and has no unusual apps installed on it.

Any ideas?

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Jan 15, 2024 5:22 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2024 5:38 PM

Same here: I have no tabs opened in Safari (just the start page) yet it tells me I have 2 tabs opened when trying to clear the history.

Please notify Apple of this issue with iOS: Product Feedback - Apple.

6 replies

Jan 16, 2024 5:06 PM in response to Opeth1

Same exact issue happened to me today. Had 6 actual tabs open, went to clear my browsing history, and safari said I had 19 open tabs. I was super confused and kind of worried if I was hacked.

I checked my other Apple devices connected to iCloud but they didn’t have any open tabs. That was the only other thing I could think of that could have inflated my number. But I don’t know now, maybe it’s a new bug? I submitted feedback to Apple but I wonder if others are having this same issue.

Jan 16, 2024 5:23 PM in response to daviegravy

I noticed this evening that if I clear it out it will read one tab then within ten minutes read thirteen tabs. It will do this whether I use safari or not which is weird.

I’m a bit weirded out by this but the Apple tech didn’t think it was hacking/virus related. He felt it much more likely to be a software issue. I suppose that there are three of us with the same issue makes malfeasance less likely as well.

I also submitted a feedback.

Safari shows more tabs open than actually open.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.