You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with Apple Trade-in?

Attracted by Apple's trade-in program, I purchased a new MacBook Pro. a few weeks ago. When I put the old one in the mail to Apple last week, it worked perfectly. Now I receive a message from Apple rejecting the $600+ trade it value . Apple reappraised it at zero dollars on the ground that it would not "restore." Where did that come from? As many in the Community have asserted, it is very likely a scam, with the contractor's compensation probably based on its rejection of trade-in.

Is anyone else having this problem?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.2

Posted on Jan 28, 2024 8:30 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2024 9:25 AM

Have it sent back and take it to an Apple Store to complete the Trade-in process. The Trade-in program can be done by mail or in-store. When you use the in-store option, you will get the trade in value on the spot with no surprises. I understand that an Apple Store is not always close by, but depending on the distance it may be worth it.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 28, 2024 9:25 AM in response to Teamwork1245

Have it sent back and take it to an Apple Store to complete the Trade-in process. The Trade-in program can be done by mail or in-store. When you use the in-store option, you will get the trade in value on the spot with no surprises. I understand that an Apple Store is not always close by, but depending on the distance it may be worth it.

Jan 28, 2024 9:25 AM in response to Teamwork1245

Teamwork1245 wrote:

Attracted by Apple's trade-in program, I purchased a new MacBook Pro. a few weeks ago. When I put the old one in the mail to Apple last week, it worked perfectly. Now I receive a message from Apple rejecting the $600+ trade it value . Apple reappraised it at zero dollars on the ground that it would not "restore." Where did that come from? As many in the Community have asserted, it is very likely a scam, with the contractor's compensation probably based on its rejection of trade-in.

Is anyone else having this problem?

You can have it sent back to you, if you don't except the offer.

If it is a working Mac you are better off selling it locally on your own, ie more money

Did you prepare for resale removing all security settings...? Does not sound like it.

What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle ...

Erase your Mac and reset it to factory settings

Firmware Remove Firmware Password

Filevault Turn off FileVault on Mac - Apple Support

ref: Apple Trade In

Apple Trade In FAQ - Apple

"Apple or its trade‑in partners reserve the right to refuse, cancel, or limit quantity of any trade‑in transaction for any reason. More details are available from Apple’s trade‑in partner for trade‑in and recycling of eligible devices. Restrictions and limitations may apply."

Problems with Apple Trade-in?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.