You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad wont connect to Windows PC through USB-C dongle

I am trying to use my iPad as a second screen for my work PC. I am using Duet Display with a wired connection which works perfectly. But I am unable to charge my iPad while I am connected. I have a USB-C dongle that I have for my iPad that I thought would work, but my PC does not recognize that my iPad is connected through the dongle; it only sees it when directly connected. Is there a fix to this? I would like to charge my iPad while connected to the computer. I am not interested in using a wireless connection due to the greater lag. The only other solution I can think of is to get the Magic Keyboard which has the passthrough charging, but that is an incredibly expensive solution. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

iPad Pro, iPadOS 17

Posted on Feb 8, 2024 10:46 AM

1 reply

Feb 8, 2024 4:28 PM in response to rockyraccoon97

Assuming that you are attempting to make a direct USB connection between your PC and iPad, your PC's USB port must be able to source at least 12W power.

Assuming that your PC is incapable of providing sufficient power to charge the iPad while connected, you might try using a USB-C hub that supports USB PD (Power Delivery) pass-through charging.

There are many third-party USB Hubs that have a USB-C connection for iPad plus a USB-C PD (Power Delivery) pass-through power connector to which you can connect your USB-C Power Adapter - along with the hub itself incorporating a combination of additional USB-C ports, USB 2.0/3.1 Type-A ports, Ethernet LAN, HDMI, VGA, SD and microSD card-readers.

Perhaps consider Kingston, Anker, Hyperdrive and Satechi - although there are many others from which to choose. A Google Search for USB-C Hubs compatible with iPad will find a number of articles and recommendations. 

Speaking of personal experience, the Kingston Nucleum has proven itself to be particularly flexible - featuring twin USB3.1 Type-A, downstream USB-C and SD/microSD card slots, HDMI, plus a power pass-through USB-C port that can accept +45W from a suitable USB power source.

iPad wont connect to Windows PC through USB-C dongle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.