You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Static and crackling sound on HomePod Mini

As said, there is a static and crackling sound lasting up to 5 seconds when I’m playing music from Spotify on my HomePod Mini. It comes up every couple of minutes and then music resumes playing normally. So far I had no issues, and after this emerged, I updated all softwares to latest versions and updated the Spotify app. Any ideas what to do next?

HomePod mini, 18

Posted on Sep 18, 2024 2:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2024 7:34 AM

I can no longer reliably use any of my HomePods with OS18. I have two homes in two countries with more than 8 HomePods at each site. After upgrading to OS18, it's not possible to reliably listen to music:

• syncing issues within 10 minutes of play (resolve with a pause/reply
  • sudden loss of connectivity for a moment in some situations.
  • sudden loss of connectivity to a single HomePod pair, resolved on advance to next song
  • honking on one ore more HomePods
  • static on one or more HomePods

It goes without saying that these bugs destroy any listening pleasure using HomePods with OS18. Such a shame.

34 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 7, 2024 7:34 AM in response to CyberMizzou

I can no longer reliably use any of my HomePods with OS18. I have two homes in two countries with more than 8 HomePods at each site. After upgrading to OS18, it's not possible to reliably listen to music:

• syncing issues within 10 minutes of play (resolve with a pause/reply
  • sudden loss of connectivity for a moment in some situations.
  • sudden loss of connectivity to a single HomePod pair, resolved on advance to next song
  • honking on one ore more HomePods
  • static on one or more HomePods

It goes without saying that these bugs destroy any listening pleasure using HomePods with OS18. Such a shame.

Sep 24, 2024 10:08 AM in response to thefieldman412

I’m also experiencing lots of intermittent static and crackling sounds on my HomePods and Minis that I’ve never encountered before. Sometimes lasting a lot longer than 5-10 seconds. Also, syncing issues with multiple units playing at the same time. This does seem like it started with the ios18 update for HomePod. This is really annoying since I am paying for Apple Music and using Airplay on my devices. Apple please look into this and issue a fix!!

Oct 12, 2024 12:33 AM in response to thefieldman412

I had some time this weekend to verify if the sync issue was related to paired HomePods. It appears to not be related. After playing to an unpaired set of homePods (Gen 2 and Mini), the issue recurs. The only way to fix it is to stop/start/replay/skip.

This effectively means that Apple Music can no longer be used, which is pretty serious for one who's been a paid subscriber for years.

Oct 9, 2024 7:04 AM in response to thefieldman412

My paired HomePod 2's are always crackling, falling out of sync and dropping out. Sometimes they will get into a echoing loop. Hitting stop and play in the home app will fix it for a few minutes.

This is terrible. We have 8 HomePods throughout the house and ALL of them are doing this after updating to iOS18.

I also have HomePods in my business ... I can't use them because of this issue.

Oct 13, 2024 11:43 AM in response to thefieldman412

I have a stereo pair of HomePod 2's as the default audio output for my Apple TV 4k in the living room, and stereo pairs of minis in all the other rooms. Everything has been fine for more than a year, but recently when I try to AirPlay Apple Music it works fine for a few minutes, then, static, crackling, off-sync echos, and dropouts that don't stop even when I move to a video app (like Netflix) until I literally shut down the entire system and restart the homepods. Doesn't happen if I'm using a video app and AirPlay to any or all homepods, only when I play Apple Music. Too intermittent to nail down for reproducing in a support call. I really want to be able to painlessly listen to music throughout my house again.

Oct 16, 2024 12:18 PM in response to bikeath1337

I just bought 3 HomePods mini and I am having the same problem. I switched from Sonos I hope apple will fix this problem soon bc I’m really unhappy with this issue. I wanted to be able to listen in multiple rooms to the same tv show while doing chores and this totally messes my experience up. And yes, I updated to iOS 18 when it came out

Static and crackling sound on HomePod Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.