You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Apple Music issues after iOS 18 Update

Has anyone experienced issues with Apple Music in iOS 18? For example, audio quality lowered despite Dolby Atmos and EQ off? Or trying to scroll through your playlist and the app crashes?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 15, iOS 18

Posted on Sep 18, 2024 5:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2024 3:17 PM

My phone updated yesterday, took an hour to complete, and issues with Music started immediately. I've no degradation in sound quality, but (1) it has crashed a few times, (2) scrolling through playlists is jerky and slow, (3) album thumbnails don't always appear, (4) when one song finishes playing the next starts ok but the display still shows the previous song playing and the currently playing song next in queue, (5) when I start playing from a different playlist it doesn't always start playing, it displays Loading then fails and displays Not Playing, or occasionally reverting to the last song playing from the previous playlist, (6) (not an issue, just an annoyance) if a favourite song appears at the bottom of the queue and I want to move it to the top, when I click and hold the song the options have moved round and Move to Top isn't in the usual place!

There are other issues not connected to Music, eg my Notes are now all saved on iCloud, it seems. Lucky I don't have any personal information in them. Same with my photos. A few (not all) apps are very slow to load. A small number of websites need me to remember my passwords because my phone has forgotten them. Like I can remember 16 character randomly generated passwords! And last, but by no means least, the battery appears to be draining faster than usual, same as happened after several previous iOS upgrades, some of which took several further fixes to correct fully.

160 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 23, 2024 3:17 PM in response to madslamared65

My phone updated yesterday, took an hour to complete, and issues with Music started immediately. I've no degradation in sound quality, but (1) it has crashed a few times, (2) scrolling through playlists is jerky and slow, (3) album thumbnails don't always appear, (4) when one song finishes playing the next starts ok but the display still shows the previous song playing and the currently playing song next in queue, (5) when I start playing from a different playlist it doesn't always start playing, it displays Loading then fails and displays Not Playing, or occasionally reverting to the last song playing from the previous playlist, (6) (not an issue, just an annoyance) if a favourite song appears at the bottom of the queue and I want to move it to the top, when I click and hold the song the options have moved round and Move to Top isn't in the usual place!

There are other issues not connected to Music, eg my Notes are now all saved on iCloud, it seems. Lucky I don't have any personal information in them. Same with my photos. A few (not all) apps are very slow to load. A small number of websites need me to remember my passwords because my phone has forgotten them. Like I can remember 16 character randomly generated passwords! And last, but by no means least, the battery appears to be draining faster than usual, same as happened after several previous iOS upgrades, some of which took several further fixes to correct fully.

Sep 19, 2024 10:21 PM in response to madslamared65

Me. So thankful to find someone else with this issue. My Apple Music has been almost unusable since the upgrade to iOS 18. Crashes when scrolling a playlist, crashes when trying to remove songs from a playlist. Won’t let me edit larger playlist. Also freezes a lot, is super slow, and the audio quality has decreased. I have been on basically a 4 day phone call with a Apple Senior Adviser about this and they can’t figure it out, plus they say nobody else besides me has reported to them issues with Apple Music on iOS 18. Which is hard for me to believe. The tech is calling me back tomorrow with what his bosses said about the screen recordings i sent them showing my issues. I’ve done every troubleshooting step they can think of except reinstalling iOS 18. I hope they can figure it out cause it’s annoying me to no end not being able to use my music.

Sep 22, 2024 3:40 PM in response to madslamared65

Same here, my music app is terrible on all Apple devices I own now. Mac is the only thing that seems to be working normally.

star ratings freeze the app completely. Having any playlists over 100 songs freezes and crashes after about 3 or 4 tracks, and don’t even get me started on smart playlists. No cover art loading, freezing after about 30 seconds. It’s absolutely unusable now.

im having to Bluetooth my Mac to my AirPods if im outside of my office at home, and I can’t even listen to music at work anymore or on the commute. It also hates streaming on cellular now too. 😬

Sep 22, 2024 12:48 PM in response to madslamared65

Same here I’ve been talking to a senior advisor who keeps having to get back to me on a different day to send all my evidence of the issue to a higher up to investigate cause the senior advisor cannot figure it out. So I guess Tuesday I will get another follow up update. But who knows, if they don’t fix it a bunch of people are gonna be switching to Spotify or something similar that actually works.

[Edited by Moderator]

Oct 4, 2024 3:41 PM in response to madslamared65

Just had what the advisor said would be our last call - he said they got my logs and such and that they are actively working on the issue, they said they recently released a new iOS version which should fix a lot of issues so to go ahead and update your iOS - that if that doesn’t fix it you can either just wait for another iOS update or call them and ask about a update on the issue. So I’m gonna update my iOS and see if that does anything. But they said they are aware and now actively working on these Apple Music issues.

Sep 28, 2024 2:05 PM in response to madslamared65

I am seeing multiple issues. Duplicate downloads across the majority of my library that I had to spend hours cleaning up. lost content. Also access to content that was part of the library before but is no longer available. Very aggravating! Syncing across my devices is very sporadic and inconsistent from device to device. there were also big changes to what you can maintain from the drop down selection of features, like album art. all in all this was a miserable update to Apple Music and I will be moving to my TIDAL account permanently. Disappointing by aPPLE standards to say the least!

Apple Music issues after iOS 18 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.