You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

HomeKit broken after iOS18 update

Since updating my AppleTV's, HomePods (and minis) and iOS devices to iOS18, I get an error saying none of my hubs will connect, and thus HomeKit is essentially dead and useless. I've tried removing the hubs and re-adding them, but now I get errors on my iPhone or iPad saying the devices couldn't be setup.

I went so far as to setup a separate network with a different router and started a new home, and trying to add a factory reset HomePod mini, and I'm getting a failed setup error. I genuinely don't know what else to try, as this pretty much checks off all of Apple's support issues. (Restarting iPhones/iPads used for setup, rebooting routers, starting from scratch, etc etc...)

Any other suggestions out there?

Posted on Sep 23, 2024 5:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2024 11:17 AM

I also have the same problem. I can control the devices by using “hey Siri” but buttons in HomeKit are useless. All say “updating” then eventually “no response”.

8 replies

Oct 14, 2024 11:15 PM in response to Bjm070

This exact thing happened to me. And after 30min with Apple Support chat and eventually phone support, they weren't able to suggest anything beyond what can be found on: If your HomeKit or Matter accessory isn't responding in the Home app - Apple Support (CA)

But the information provided by Bjm070 fixed it. I also found that I my Homekit Home Hub (see in Home Settings in the Home App) was set to my Apple TV. In the AppleTV's settings, I went in and removed it from the "Home". Then in the Home Settings in the Home App, I assigned one of my Homepod Minis to act as the Hub. This immediately fixed everything.

Hope this helps someone else too.

Oct 7, 2024 4:08 PM in response to Questionable Sanity

Don’t know if this helps you but I talked to Apple support. The problem was that iOS 18 designated my Apple TV as the home hub. It wasn’t compatible with that version 1 of Apple TV 4K for that set of accessories. My HomePod was too old too and I had to make an Apple mini pod the home hub. Might help to check if your current devices are compatible with Ios18 to use as a hub for your homekit accessories. Apple support can tell you. .

HomeKit broken after iOS18 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.