You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Freeing up disk space with iCloud Photos?

I decided to make some room on my Mac's hard disk and use iCloud Photos. My Photos library is 95 GB. So I bought some more disk space on iCloud, turned iCloud photos on and checked the appropriate box in the Photos prefs ("Optimize Mac storage"). Now I'm sitting in front of the Finder window looking at the Photos Library's size, expecting it to shrink – but the size stays the same, even after six hours. Am I missing something?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 3, 2019 3:42 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 3, 2019 4:10 PM

Note that the photos are optimized only if your device is low on space. See the following from Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

If you turn on Optimize Storage, iCloud Photos automatically manages the size of your library on your device. Your original photos and videos are stored in iCloud and space-saving versions are kept on your device. Your library is optimized only when you need space, starting with the photos and videos you access least. You can download the original photos and videos over Wi-Fi or cellular when you need them. You can use Optimize Storage on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 3, 2019 4:10 PM in response to Christoph Drösser

Note that the photos are optimized only if your device is low on space. See the following from Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

If you turn on Optimize Storage, iCloud Photos automatically manages the size of your library on your device. Your original photos and videos are stored in iCloud and space-saving versions are kept on your device. Your library is optimized only when you need space, starting with the photos and videos you access least. You can download the original photos and videos over Wi-Fi or cellular when you need them. You can use Optimize Storage on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac.

May 4, 2019 1:33 PM in response to Christoph Drösser

Christoph, if you want the Photos Library to shrink immediately, you can start over with an empty library. Once your complete library has finished uploading to iCloud Photos, make a backup copy of the Photos Library on an external drive, then quit Photos and delete the Photos Library from your system drive.

• Launch Photos again while holding down the options key ⌥.
  • Keep holding down the key, until the Library Chooser dialog appears and select to create a new library.
  • Make the new, empty library the system photo library in the Photos > Preferences > General: Use as System photo Library.
  • Then make the library your iCloud Photos Library in Photos > Preferences > iCloud. Enable "Optimize Storage".

The library will initially download from iCloud fully optimized, roughly 10% of the original size, but grow again, if space permits, when you download photos for viewing them.

You did not mention your version of MacOS X. When you download the library from iCloud, the named faces will be missing, if you are running macOS 10.12 or older. It is only on High Sierra or newer, that the named faces are syncing with iCloud. The print projects (photo books, calendars, cards) do not sync with iCloud at all, but they are not supported any longer by Apple anyway.

Freeing up disk space with iCloud Photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.