You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 5K 2019 startup and then black screen

My iMac 5K 2019 (I believe) just randomly began to give me a problem. I used it two days ago, and shut it down, and then I tried turning it on today, but after the apple logo showed up and the progress bar began moving further to the right, the brightness of the black screen goes up a tad bit and then it stopped moving around the halfway point and then after a few seconds, a flicker happens where I can see the mouse cursor up in the top left corner of the screen while having a black screen, and then it goes away and I'm left with a black screen.

I hear that the fan is running, and sadly I had my mute button on before, so I can't tell if the startup sound plays or not, but I imagine that it does.

What the heck is going on? Anyone know of a fix?

I also let it run, and it eventually got darker, as if it was beginning to enter display sleep mode, and when I pressed a key on my keyboard, it lit up again, but still a black screen.

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 5, 2019 4:56 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2019 2:48 AM

First try resetting the SMC How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

If that doesn't help try booting into safe mode Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Finally of you’re still having problems make an appointment and take your iMac in for service, if it's a 2019 model as you state it's still under warranty.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 6, 2019 2:48 AM in response to SBBBear

First try resetting the SMC How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

If that doesn't help try booting into safe mode Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Finally of you’re still having problems make an appointment and take your iMac in for service, if it's a 2019 model as you state it's still under warranty.

iMac 5K 2019 startup and then black screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.