You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Purchasing a used phone

What information do I need to know when purchasing a used Iphone ?

iPhone 8

Posted on Jul 3, 2019 2:19 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2019 2:22 PM

Turn off Find My iPhone Activation Lock - Apple Support

2 replies

Jul 4, 2019 7:02 AM in response to RV9167

RV9167 wrote:

What information do I need to know when purchasing a used Iphone ?

It's risky purchasing a used iPhone unless there is an option to return it for refund. Here's what you need to check:

• The phone is not Activation Locked. The only way to find out is to actually activate the phone using your Apple ID. If it asks for the password to a different Apple ID then it IS activation locked.
  • The phone is not blacklisted as stolen. Again, the only way to verify this is to attempt to activate it.
  • The phone is either not SIM locked to a carrier or is locked to the carrier you plan to use it with. You can contact Apple and they can check this; you will need the phone's serial number or IMEI.

Even then you are not completely safe. There is a scam where people will sell a working phone, then report it stolen to collect insurance. This will result in the phone being blacklisted after you have verified that it is working.

Purchasing a used phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.