You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t update/remove/change iTunes payment method

I have only 1 payment method I use with iTunes. The card for that payment method has expired. When I try to buy something on the App Store it tells me to update my CVV number (3 digit number on back of card). After I’ve done that (for my already expired card), it tells me my card is expired so I need to go to iTunes on my computer and update my billing information. When I go to my computer to try and update through iTunes there, it doesn’t let me update, remove, or add a new card. Depending on how I try and do it, the reason I’m unable to change anything is either because I need to put in my CVV code or because the card is expired. Essentially I can’t update my expired card, remove it, or add a new one

iPhone 6s Plus

Posted on Jul 7, 2019 3:15 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2019 2:22 AM

I managed to get some Apple support on this. You need to log in via this web site https://appleid.apple.com/#!&page=signin

Once here it is possible to update the expiry date and other details of the credit cards you have on file. It solved my problem

5 replies

Jul 13, 2019 12:16 PM in response to shahjahan208

Having same issue, where it says I need to update the payment method in iTunes and AppStore, but won't let me edit the card expiry info.

When I try to update OS software, I get the same "payment method expired" message, but it goes to a window where I *can* edit the expiry date... but after clicking "Done" it apparently doesn't connect go through, as I continue to get a "payment method has expired" message that loops me back to the same window where my expiry date did not change.

Unable to add new payment method as a work-around. Says I need to update the current card expiry date, but there is no apparent way to do so.

Jul 8, 2019 8:59 AM in response to Kappy

The situation occurs for me too because the card is expired and it is the only card on my account. When I try to add a new card I am told to verify the existing card before adding a new one. I cannot verify the existing card because I'm given no option to update the details other than the CVV. So the existing card entry remains unverified. So I tried to remove it. That actions wasn't permitted as I have a family account and iTunes will not let me remove the only card on my account.

Jul 15, 2019 3:03 AM in response to Crezzas

NICE, RESOLVED! thanks Crezzas - - this totally worked going through appleid.apple.com to update payment info while unable to do so through iTunes.

In case this is helpful for other users, I had to do a few extra steps to fully resolve: I found that after updating my card info in appleid.apple.com, my iTunes account info listed the new card but when I clicked on Manage Payments it still showed the old card, along with the same issue of not being able to remove or edit this old card. However when I tried to download an app, I was asked to verify my payment method, and now it had updated the card number to the new one and I was able to verify successfully, and the old one was replaced by the new, correct one in my details.

Can’t update/remove/change iTunes payment method

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.