You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New NVMe drive is slow on thunderbolt 3

I decided to test my new NVMe drive speed and was astonished how slow it was 42mb/s. I tried a different cable same result. So then I tested the same drive with a thunderbolt 3 to USB adapter and it was 400+ mb/s. This is a 2019 iMac with i9. Anyone know what might be going on?

Posted on Jul 21, 2019 11:46 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2019 12:53 PM

Are you sure the drive is Thunderbolt 3 (lightning bolt icon on the connector), not just USB-C. If you use a Thunderbolt 3 cable with a non-Thunderbolt USB-C device, it may run at USB 2.0 speeds, which would explain your 42MB/s.

If the connector has no lightning bolt icon, use a USB-C 10Gb/s cable, not Thunderbolt 3. For short cables (0.5 m) they are the same, but not for longer cables.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 22, 2019 12:53 PM in response to david from milwaukie

Are you sure the drive is Thunderbolt 3 (lightning bolt icon on the connector), not just USB-C. If you use a Thunderbolt 3 cable with a non-Thunderbolt USB-C device, it may run at USB 2.0 speeds, which would explain your 42MB/s.

If the connector has no lightning bolt icon, use a USB-C 10Gb/s cable, not Thunderbolt 3. For short cables (0.5 m) they are the same, but not for longer cables.

New NVMe drive is slow on thunderbolt 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.