You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not able to get thunderbolt 3 speed

I have a 2017 iMac 27" and bought a nvm-e (Samsung 970e Pro) put it in a Sabrent enclosure, to use as an external drive. The speeds of the nvm-e are supposed to be in the order of 5GB/s. The TB3 is 40GB/s max, so I figured it would be blazing fast. NOPE, getting speeds of 4 -15MB/s

This is installing from 'Downloads' to 'Applications', and actually took 10 min or more. I am not sure why, the device is being identified as USB 2, when I go to my system report, I clearly have TB3

What is going on? Do I need to update a driver? OR is the Sabrent enclosure not work with the iMac? I tested the Sabrent on my Macbook Pro, was getting 800MB/s or better. So there is some issue with the iMac, just not clear what I have done wrong - OR what I need to do to correct this.

Appreciate any help, thank you.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 1, 2022 2:56 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 1, 2022 6:49 PM

Not sure why, but it should work as fast on the iMac as the MacBook Pro.

I would try restarting the iMac SMC and then reconnect the Sabrent enclosure.

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

If that doesn't help, https://www.sabrent.com/support/ would be my next stop.

Similar questions

3 replies

May 1, 2022 6:05 PM in response to den.thed

@den.thed, thank you for the reply. The model is the Sabrent EC-SNVE and I tested both TB3 ports, USB3.1 ports too. Also tried multiple cables with the same results on the iMac.

The test with the enclosure / nvm-e with my Macbook Pro, the speed was 800MB/s +, so I must be doing something wrong on the iMac. Thinking firmware or an update is needed?? IDK.

Appreciate your time/help

Not able to get thunderbolt 3 speed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.