You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Auto lock

On my iPad air2, when I closed the case, the iPad would switch off. Likewise opening the case displayed the lock screen.

this iPad has had a new case and screen protector, and shuts down when the new cover is closed, and shows lock screen when cover is opened.

i have now bought a iPad air3 (10.5 2019) model, and this facility seems to have been removed.

the new case is identical, and in Settings, Display and brightness, the “Lock/Unlock” is set to green.

Have I a faulty iPad ?

ive already had to take one back with a screen fault... ?

i have tested it with covers I know shut down other iPads, but nothing shuts the 10.5 down.

1. have apple taken the facility away ?
  2. is the iPad faulty ?
  3. is there a test I can do ? (I’ve already tried magnetic tape and magnets, but to be be fair they don’t work on any of the iPads

Thanks

Posted on Aug 16, 2019 8:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2019 9:07 AM

This capability has not been removed, but it's certainly possible the case you purchased for your iPad is not compatible with the auto lock function. When you go into Settings > Display and Brightness > Do you See Auto Lock? Is it turned on?

I have the newest iPad Pro 11 and this feature is alive and well on my iPad.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 16, 2019 9:07 AM in response to dave1510

This capability has not been removed, but it's certainly possible the case you purchased for your iPad is not compatible with the auto lock function. When you go into Settings > Display and Brightness > Do you See Auto Lock? Is it turned on?

I have the newest iPad Pro 11 and this feature is alive and well on my iPad.

Aug 21, 2019 12:34 PM in response to lobsterghost1

OK,

I have tried a "Smart Case" which failed to put the ipad to sleep, or wake it up.

I have been onto Currys tech support, done a full reset - still no good.

I went back to Currys, and they tried a genuine Apple cover https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MVQ22ZM/A/smart-cover-for-105‑inch-ipad-air-charcoal-grey which did work, but the cover only covered the front, and was so flimsy, I have decided to put up with the ipad not going to sleep when I close the cover.

It's a shame, but maybe the 3rd party manufacturers have yet to catch up with Apple. I won't be paying £55 though...

Aug 16, 2019 9:56 AM in response to dave1510

If you go out to Amazon and look for cases for iPad Air 3, if they are designed to work with auto-lock, they almost always specifically say they are designed to do so. I would test it with a case specifically promoted as being auto-lock ready, then if that doesn't work, have Apple look at your iPad.

Look at the product listings on this page from Amazon. Most say Auto Sleep Wake in their product descriptions:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ipad+air+3+case+auto+wake&crid=2XHAY8K1YERWJ&sprefix=ipad+air+3+auto+%2Caps%2C568&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_16

Aug 21, 2019 12:51 PM in response to dave1510

OK.....I still believe the Air 3 has now been out long enough for case makers to make one which works with auto lock.

Here's a link to many options on Amazon, which specifically say auto wake for iPad Air 3: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ipad+air+3+auto+wake+cases&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

What's good about Amazon is if you buy one and it doesn't work as specified, you return it, no questions asked.

Auto lock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.