You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Album greyed out

Hey folks,

I had (until recently) the entire Motorhead discography in a playlist on my phone, I went to play through it today and a number of tracks were greyed out.

Checking in Apple Music most of them were still there, so I rebuilt the playlist again. Unfortunately, one of the albums '********' (the album name was starred out by Apple as its an offensive word, meaning fatherless child) is not in Apple music anymore, it IS in Spotify (not a subscriber there, but i checked for this album before posting here).

So my question is 2 fold, well, actually 4 fold.

1. Why is it that occasionally i find tracks wont play because they're greyed out, then I have to go and re add them to playlists?
  2. Are the missing album rights no longer available to Apple (despite the rest of the discography being there)?
  3. Can I copy the cd to iTunes and have that album mixed in with downloaded albums (I think thats what I did originally), or will it simply grey out because Apple Music don't have the rights to it, despite it being ripped in iTunes by me?
  4. When adding albums to playlists, why do some albums appear within the playlist in reverse order despite the actual album track order being correct before I added it?

Thank you for any advice!

Lat

iPhone XS

Posted on Sep 13, 2019 2:46 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2019 3:11 AM

1/ The content owners (band, record label) may make edits, however small and possibly not audio related, and upload a new version, that may not match what is in existing playlists.

2/ The content owners/artists have their rights at all times. They may add or retract content at any time as they see fit.

3/ You may add and convert an Audio CD to iTunes and add it to your iCloud Music Library. The automatic matching feature will find if the same content is available in the Apple Music catalog. Unmatched tracks are not part of the catalog, and are available only to you on your devices, and can’t be shared with others through the Apple Music features.

4/ I don’t know.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 13, 2019 3:11 AM in response to TheLatman

1/ The content owners (band, record label) may make edits, however small and possibly not audio related, and upload a new version, that may not match what is in existing playlists.

2/ The content owners/artists have their rights at all times. They may add or retract content at any time as they see fit.

3/ You may add and convert an Audio CD to iTunes and add it to your iCloud Music Library. The automatic matching feature will find if the same content is available in the Apple Music catalog. Unmatched tracks are not part of the catalog, and are available only to you on your devices, and can’t be shared with others through the Apple Music features.

4/ I don’t know.

Album greyed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.