You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac crash

I've an iMac that keeps crashing while using it. Light use with CS Suite etc. Other machines using the same apps and all fine. Basically it turns itself off and won't restart until you pull the power cable out for at least 5 seconds. Any ideas on what it could be?

I've erased the hard drive and reinstalled Mojave - still happening - no apparent pattern to when it crashes out.

iMac spec

27-inch late 2015 - was a refurb from Apple

3.2GHz intel core i5

32GB 1867 Mhz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M390 2 GB

Crash Report is attached

Anyone got any ideas - must be some sort of hardware issue??

Thanks

Posted on Sep 18, 2019 6:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2019 7:40 AM

Hi,

It seems your iMac has Fusion drive trouble.

Boot in Recovery mode and use DiskUtility to repair the drive.

If it doesn't work, you would need to replace the drive.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

8 replies

Sep 18, 2019 12:30 PM in response to twobelowzero

I'm worried because we can't tell if that entry in the log is saying the SSD is bad or its slot is bad, or even something farther upstream. Does the computer run long enough to run Apple Diagnostics?

I think you need a more detailed diagnosis before investing in a new drive.

Also, have you investigated the take-apart for that iMac? It's not easy as you are dealing with a sealed case. Might want to watch this video before deciding you will do it yourself:

https://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/imac-27-inch-5k-2014_15-pciessd/

It's for a mid-2015 but the process should be the same.

Sep 18, 2019 12:41 PM in response to Allan Jones

Hi Allan,

I can get the machine up and running, just crashes out at no particular point. I'll run apple diagnostics- is this just the disk utility? or is this a different bit of software? Disk utility first aid returns no faults.

I won't open the machine up myself, I'll get the local approved repair shop to do it. They look after all drive swaps etc - Oddly I asked them to check the machine but they say it's fine. Crashes every 10 mins so I can't see how they can say it's fine. I've swapped the leads etc in case it was the local environment causing the issue... just to be sure.

iMac crash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.