You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is it so counter intuitive to move files from the download folder to another folder?

Every time I download ordinary tekst folders I try to move them in Finder. I try it in several ways but most of them don't work.

SHIFTING

1) I try it by shifting them to a proper map by keep the mouseclick down and move all the files. But when I move the files to the side menu "Document Folder", the folder doesn't open automatically. Very annoying.

2) I try it by shifting them to a proper map via the column view. But Apple for some reason does not show higher rank folders then the current folder. So I can not shift to other maps.

3) When finally being able to shift files... the folders don't light up when pointing them.

CUT

4) I try to cut the files and don't want to keep files in the download folder. But for some reason Apple does not allow that. Very annoying.

Is there a reason that Apple is counter intuitive in navigating files in Finder?

Posted on Sep 29, 2019 4:08 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2019 9:12 AM

"1) I try it by shifting them to a proper map by keep the mouseclick down and move all the files. But when I move the files to the side menu "Document Folder", the folder doesn't open automatically. Very annoying."

When you drag something over a folder in the window Sidebar, it opens immediately if you press the space bar; or it opens without pressing anything, after a delay that depends on the preferences set.

So you can press space, or you can change the delay, in System Preferences->Accessibility->Trackpad & Mouse.

If you make it very short, it will open nearly instantly.

I guess this will make it much closer to what you are intending to do.

"2) I try it by shifting them to a proper map via the column view. But Apple for some reason does not show higher rank folders then the current folder. So I can not shift to other maps."

You can move up the hierarchy in Column View by pressing command-up arrow, and folders above the present one will be presented.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 1, 2019 9:12 AM in response to Josuf

"1) I try it by shifting them to a proper map by keep the mouseclick down and move all the files. But when I move the files to the side menu "Document Folder", the folder doesn't open automatically. Very annoying."

When you drag something over a folder in the window Sidebar, it opens immediately if you press the space bar; or it opens without pressing anything, after a delay that depends on the preferences set.

So you can press space, or you can change the delay, in System Preferences->Accessibility->Trackpad & Mouse.

If you make it very short, it will open nearly instantly.

I guess this will make it much closer to what you are intending to do.

"2) I try it by shifting them to a proper map via the column view. But Apple for some reason does not show higher rank folders then the current folder. So I can not shift to other maps."

You can move up the hierarchy in Column View by pressing command-up arrow, and folders above the present one will be presented.

Sep 29, 2019 4:55 PM in response to Josuf

Open two Finder windows. One for the Downloads folder as the source and a second Finder window for the destination of the items. Drag & drop will by default move the items if the source and destination folders are located on the same volume (meaning the original folder will no longer contain the items). You can hold down modifier keys as you drag & drop if you want to copy the items or create an alias.

If you are looking for Windows File Explorer type of functionality, then you won't get it from the Finder.

Sep 30, 2019 5:24 AM in response to HWTech

Well, Windows or not. I am more used to Google Drive since I switched a lot between Apple and Windows. And Google Drive is very intuitive in moving files around by shifting the mousepointer with the appropiate file virtually to a new folder.

But well apparently I have to get used to opening to Finder Windows to move a file.

Why is it so counter intuitive to move files from the download folder to another folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.