You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

old hard drive in a new (to me) computer

A couple days ago my cat spilled water on my computer (macbook pro mid 2009) and now it wont turn on. I recently discovered that the battery was not holding any change so I decided to buy a new computer since it was needed anyway. I have a 2012 macbook pro in the mail.

My question is whether I can put the hard drive from the 2009 computer, one i installed myself, into the new computer when it arrives and have all my old files. I couldn't update beyond el capitan and I know the new computer will have high sierra, will this complicate things? I have a time machine with all the files so it wont be a big deal of not, it would just be easier as I plan on putting the old hard drive in anyway.

Posted on Oct 2, 2019 3:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2019 3:35 PM

Hi,

You can swap HDD from old MacBook Pro to new MacBook Pro, and upgrade new MacBook Pro to Mojave.

Also you can new MacBook Pro boot in Recovery mode then restore data from Time Machine.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

Similar questions

1 reply

old hard drive in a new (to me) computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.