You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatically delete certain incoming emails

My question is quite straiightforward. Is there anyway of making Mac Mail automatically delete certain incoming emails, or better still bounce them?

I am running MacOSMojave Version 10.14.6 on an iMac (21.5-inch, 2017).

In recent weeks I have been inundated by Spam mail due to a loop-hole Amazon's "Goodreads" website/app security - due to poor policing they have allowed spammers to creat bogus members profiles and as a result my e-mail was Phished from a short review I wrote.

All the e-mails are coming from a just handful of addresses, so I made a New Contact for them (and keep it updated) and used this "contact" to try to set up a Rule in Preferences (see attached screen grab), but they are not being automatically deleted.

Anyone know how to make this work? Or have a different solution to my problem?

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 9:06 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 9:50 AM

These articles will help with the details.

Reduce junk mail in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

https://www.dummies.com/computers/macs/how-to-manage-spam-e-mail-with-apple-mail/

I also receive a significant amount of spam. I've trained my system by clicking on the Mail app's junk mail button enough times to identify most spammers so that the mail app does a pretty good job now of weeding out the spam. When there are specific senders that are problematic, or there are key words in the title that I know are from spammers/scammers then I use the Maill app rules feature documented in the Apple article above. The rules feature is very adaptable, so between junk mail training and the rules feature I am sure you will be able to find a manageable solution.

Approximately once per month I review the junk mail folder to make sure there aren't any emails that shouldn't be there. A couple of years ago I'd find one or two that didn't belong, but now I rarely ever find a misclassified email in the junk folder.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 7, 2019 9:50 AM in response to Kasterborous01

These articles will help with the details.

Reduce junk mail in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

https://www.dummies.com/computers/macs/how-to-manage-spam-e-mail-with-apple-mail/

I also receive a significant amount of spam. I've trained my system by clicking on the Mail app's junk mail button enough times to identify most spammers so that the mail app does a pretty good job now of weeding out the spam. When there are specific senders that are problematic, or there are key words in the title that I know are from spammers/scammers then I use the Maill app rules feature documented in the Apple article above. The rules feature is very adaptable, so between junk mail training and the rules feature I am sure you will be able to find a manageable solution.

Approximately once per month I review the junk mail folder to make sure there aren't any emails that shouldn't be there. A couple of years ago I'd find one or two that didn't belong, but now I rarely ever find a misclassified email in the junk folder.

Automatically delete certain incoming emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.