You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete emails forever

I want to empty trash after deleting emails in my iPhone but haven't been able to since the latest update to iOS 13.1.2. There are 196 messages in the Trash folder, I don't see a way to empty the trash or permanently delete them.

iPhone 8

Posted on Oct 14, 2019 5:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2019 9:10 AM

Hello, susanmtbc.

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

From what I've read is that you're unable to permanently delete emails in the trash folder. I'd like to help you on this. If you open the trash folder, do you have the Edit button in the top right corner? If you see the Edit button, tap on that which then you can select email to delete, mark or move. Or are you able to swipe left to pull up additional options on one of the emails? These are two ways to delete them: Delete and recover emails in Mail on iPhone

Check to see if you have any archived options checked for your email. Also, does this happen with one email account or all email accounts?

See if you can delete them using a web browser by logging into the email providers website, if this is possible.

Keep me updated.

Cheers!

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 19, 2019 9:10 AM in response to susanmtbc

Hello, susanmtbc.

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

From what I've read is that you're unable to permanently delete emails in the trash folder. I'd like to help you on this. If you open the trash folder, do you have the Edit button in the top right corner? If you see the Edit button, tap on that which then you can select email to delete, mark or move. Or are you able to swipe left to pull up additional options on one of the emails? These are two ways to delete them: Delete and recover emails in Mail on iPhone

Check to see if you have any archived options checked for your email. Also, does this happen with one email account or all email accounts?

See if you can delete them using a web browser by logging into the email providers website, if this is possible.

Keep me updated.

Cheers!

Delete emails forever

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.