You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Catalina download is making my Mac run slow. Anyone else experiencing this?

Catalina makes my iMac run slow

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Oct 20, 2019 12:32 PM

2 replies

Oct 20, 2019 1:23 PM in response to mlong123

Not for me.

Few things to check: When it prompted you to install, did you select the right disk/partition? Check your disk space.

Check any applications running in the background/startup that maybe getting 'stuck'; try updating them or if not disabling them to see if there is any improvement. Use the tools (e.g. Activity Monitor) to check of any memory/disk anomalies.

Got to understand, Catalina is a different beast (mainly the dynamic shift to 64bit native) compared to Mojave and previous versions.

I am experiencing some issues on my MBA (early 2015) but not performance.

Oct 20, 2019 1:45 PM in response to mlong123

My iMac was running slow but I tried a couple of things , first I went in to recovery mode and did first aid on both system disks. second thing I Did was to prevent spotlight from searching my large (8tb) external drive.

Seems to have sped things up some . My next step is to add more memory and a ssd drive .

My Mac mini is blazing fast with a SSD drive and 32 gig of ram .

New Catalina download is making my Mac run slow. Anyone else experiencing this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.