You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

viewing pictures actual pixel size in photos 5

I got upgraded to Photos 5 when I upgraded to Catalina. Now when I view a picture at full size, it expands to the available height or width available on the screen, which may be more than 100%. Previously I could manually set the size back to 100%. Now I don't seem to be able to do that. The size slider won't do it, and if I try to use two fingers to make it smaller, it just snaps back to album view.

Is there a way to view a small image at it's actual pixel dimensions.

MacBook, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 6:05 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2019 2:39 AM

You are right. I should have tested in full screen mode. This is an unfortunate new feature and a big problem, if we are viewing photos, that have a small pixel size.

The zoom slider seems now to be limited to the size range "Fit ... 4 x Fit Size". If we are viewing a photo where the "Fit" size is already larger than 400% of the longest edge of the photo in pixel, the zoom slider is frequently dead and cannot be moved at all. I am having plenty of very small photos in my library, that have been sent to me by email. I can now only view them enlarged to 100%, when I make the Photos window very small. For some of the photos even that will not help.

It nice, that we now can enlarge photos further than before, but very bad, that we can no longer view small photos at a size, where they will not be pixelated. You may want to report this bug to Apple:

Feedback - macOS - Apple

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 9, 2019 2:39 AM in response to mdm13

You are right. I should have tested in full screen mode. This is an unfortunate new feature and a big problem, if we are viewing photos, that have a small pixel size.

The zoom slider seems now to be limited to the size range "Fit ... 4 x Fit Size". If we are viewing a photo where the "Fit" size is already larger than 400% of the longest edge of the photo in pixel, the zoom slider is frequently dead and cannot be moved at all. I am having plenty of very small photos in my library, that have been sent to me by email. I can now only view them enlarged to 100%, when I make the Photos window very small. For some of the photos even that will not help.

It nice, that we now can enlarge photos further than before, but very bad, that we can no longer view small photos at a size, where they will not be pixelated. You may want to report this bug to Apple:

Feedback - macOS - Apple

Nov 4, 2019 11:23 AM in response to mdm13

Hi mdm13,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you are having an issue zooming out within Photos on your Mac. I am happy to help.

I will be using our Photos User Guide as reference: Browse and view photos in Photos on Mac - Apple Support. Feel free to use this resource in the future as well, to find answers to many How To questions.

In your case, it sounds like you are able to see the bar which allows you to zoom in and out on a photo, but it does not change the size of a photo. I have a few questions.

-Is this happening with every photo you attempt to view, or just certain ones?

-Are you editing a photo when attempting to zoom in and out?

-With Photos opened, and an individual picture selected, if you go to View in the toolbar, are you able to click Zoom Out? Or, if you use the keyboard shortcut Command (or Cmd) ⌘ and the '-' key, does the picture zoom out?

Also, try to force quit the Photos app How to force an app to quit on your Mac - Apple Support, and restart your Mac How to turn your Mac on or off - Apple Support, then test for the same behavior.

Reply back with an update on the issue and responses to the above questions, if you need continued support.

Thank you!

Nov 8, 2019 3:28 PM in response to léonie

Your screen capture helped me solve my problem. What I noticed is you did not have Photos in Full Screen mode. Apparently. in Full Screen, the image will always be enlarged (or reduced) to fit the available space. Moving the slider to the right will make the image larger, but moving the slider to the left won't reduce it. When not in Full Screen, I can make the image display at 100%.

So thanks. I now know what to do.

viewing pictures actual pixel size in photos 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.