You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

add external storage to macbook internal volume

can i add an external drive to my macbooks internal volume so that my 512gb internal storage is uplifted to 1.5Tb from the additional of 1Tb external hard drive

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 30, 2019 3:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2019 4:09 AM

If you are asking can you use an external drive with your MacBook then yes. When I had a 256GB MB Air I had an external drive for it where I stored all my media files and other files I only accessed when I was at my desk. If you are asking if you can create a fusion drive by combining the internal drive with an external, the answer is yes but you'd then have a computer that could only function when you had the external hard drive with you and powered on. Disconnecting the external would be disastrous.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 30, 2019 4:09 AM in response to No me

If you are asking can you use an external drive with your MacBook then yes. When I had a 256GB MB Air I had an external drive for it where I stored all my media files and other files I only accessed when I was at my desk. If you are asking if you can create a fusion drive by combining the internal drive with an external, the answer is yes but you'd then have a computer that could only function when you had the external hard drive with you and powered on. Disconnecting the external would be disastrous.

add external storage to macbook internal volume

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.