You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm using MacBook Pro with Sierra Version 10.12.6 and I am trying to upgrade to the latest version I could not do so. Can someone help me please. This has been given me lots of headache

I'm using MacBook Pro with Sierra Version 10.12.6 and I am trying to upgrade to the latest version, I could not do so. Can someone help me please. This has been given me lots of headache

Because with this old version I couldn't purchase some apps I needed to work with.

I need help

Posted on Nov 4, 2019 6:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2019 7:17 AM

This is your best and actually only option:

How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - "If you have hardware or software that isn't compatible with macOS Mojave, you might be able to upgrade to macOS High Sierra"

- https://support.apple.com/HT208969

You may wish to consider getting more RAM. The system requirements may not ask for more but your computer will be very slow once you try running more than one or two applications with only 4GB RAM.

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 4, 2019 7:17 AM in response to fresheo

This is your best and actually only option:

How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - "If you have hardware or software that isn't compatible with macOS Mojave, you might be able to upgrade to macOS High Sierra"

- https://support.apple.com/HT208969

You may wish to consider getting more RAM. The system requirements may not ask for more but your computer will be very slow once you try running more than one or two applications with only 4GB RAM.

Nov 4, 2019 7:05 AM in response to fresheo

It would really, really help if you provided information as to your exact model computer, including year (and things such as early, mid, or late). You may have several upgrade options, limitation and hardware modifications you may need to do in order to install different versions. Somebody may just paste a whole bunch of system upgrade options here but I prefer the more directed approach to solving this kind of question.

To get more information about your computer, go to the Apple in the upper left corner of any window, then "About This Mac", then "More Info..." Copy and paste the information here, but omit the serial number and Hardware UUID (if present).

Nov 4, 2019 7:50 AM in response to fresheo

Normally the stock reply is, "Take it to an Apple Authorized Service Provider". That said, with a computer that age you can save a lot of money doing it yourself unless you really feel terrorized by using a screwdriver. ;-) It is possible an AASP wouldn't even be prepared to work on something that old.

I'd visit the macsales.com = OWC web site and use their upgrade information to see what is possible and for instruction videos. I'd make sure you buy your RAM from them or Crucial as sometimes similar specification sold for PCs doesn't behave well in Macs which are picky about quality.

It is also possible your computer still has a spinning hard drive instead of a solid state drive (SSD). A SSD will make it a lot faster and while you're on the OWC site you can check upgrade prices. A speed boost is nice but if you're thinking you may be computer shopping in a year or two you can decide if it is worth it now. It's not brain surgery replacing it but a bit of a hassle transferring from drive to drive, in particular if you do not have a backup (which should be your priority #1 before upgrading the system software).

I'm using MacBook Pro with Sierra Version 10.12.6 and I am trying to upgrade to the latest version I could not do so. Can someone help me please. This has been given me lots of headache

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.