You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod Connectivity in Catalina 10.15.1

Shortly after installing Catalina 10.15.1, my 4x HomePods would disconnect and stop playing.

My set up:

I play music through Apple Music via Airplay on an iMac Pro which connects to a Yamaha receiver and 4 HomePods.

Zero issue until this latest software update.

What I'm experiencing:

Music will play on all, then the HomePods disconnect and the Airplay symbol turns yellow.

It can happen seconds in, or 30 minutes in. Totally at random, and each device has to be √ back in, only to disconnect again. The receiver does stay connected and keeps playing the music.

What I have done so far to troubleshoot:

1. Put the whole system on a different WiFi router to see if one was faulty. No difference.
  2. Verified that the latest software version is installed. √
  3. Removed each HomePod, reset them, re-added them to the Home app. No difference.
  4. Called Apple > Ran a Network Test √ > Ran Disc Utility in safe mode √ > Restarted > Tested each unit separately √ - Played all together for about 30 minutes until they disconnected again. WTF.

Other observations:

If you attempt to play different music on different speakers, you are immediately prompted to Upgrade to a family plan. I live alone...

Help?

I'm convinced this is a software issue, but I'm out of ideas.

Is this happening to anyone else?

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Nov 18, 2019 10:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2019 8:52 AM

Other observations:
If you attempt to play different music on different speakers, you are immediately prompted to Upgrade to a family plan. I live alone...

You're now only allowed one stream from Apple Music with a standard account. This wasn't initially an issue for HomePod users.

As for the other issue if you have a dual band router you may find things are more stable if you only have say the 2.4 GHz radio active. I also assign fixed IP addresses to my kit, but I've no idea if that actually helps.

tt2

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 20, 2019 8:52 AM in response to Dudedelux

Other observations:

You're now only allowed one stream from Apple Music with a standard account. This wasn't initially an issue for HomePod users.

As for the other issue if you have a dual band router you may find things are more stable if you only have say the 2.4 GHz radio active. I also assign fixed IP addresses to my kit, but I've no idea if that actually helps.

tt2

HomePod Connectivity in Catalina 10.15.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.