You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing Apple Music across Apple IDs/HomePods

I’m giving my partner a HomePod for Xmas. She has an Apple ID and will use that. I have Apple Music. If I make it a family subscription, can she use it on her HomePod but with her Apple ID?

HomePod, iOS 13

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 9:20 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2019 12:56 PM

Hi David Goodall,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you have a question about Apple Music with HomePod, and I am happy to help.

When you sign up for an Apple Music Family subscription, and set up your Family group, everyone in your group will automatically have access to Apple Music: Get an Apple Music family subscription - Apple Support.

When your partner sets up her new HomePod with her Apple ID, she will be able to AirPlay Apple Music to her HomePod following these steps: Play audio on HomePod using an iOS or iPadOS device - Apple Support. It would not matter if the Apple Music subscription was under your Apple ID (as the organizer), since Family Sharing is based on inviting users that have their own separate Apple ID's already.

Best regards.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 24, 2019 12:56 PM in response to David Goodall

Hi David Goodall,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you have a question about Apple Music with HomePod, and I am happy to help.

When you sign up for an Apple Music Family subscription, and set up your Family group, everyone in your group will automatically have access to Apple Music: Get an Apple Music family subscription - Apple Support.

When your partner sets up her new HomePod with her Apple ID, she will be able to AirPlay Apple Music to her HomePod following these steps: Play audio on HomePod using an iOS or iPadOS device - Apple Support. It would not matter if the Apple Music subscription was under your Apple ID (as the organizer), since Family Sharing is based on inviting users that have their own separate Apple ID's already.

Best regards.

Sharing Apple Music across Apple IDs/HomePods

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.