You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Opening Safari to a blank page

I want to open Safari to a blank page. Nothing is more annoying than having to hit the X several times to keep the last page from reloading. Especially when the internet is super slow.

Anyway - I've gone to preferences on Safari (13.0.3) and it's already set to open up a new page as blank. HOWEVER, there isn't an option for it with "Safari opens with:" There are only two: all non-private windows from last session, and all windows from last session.

I've also gone to system preferences/general/close windows when quitting app - either checked or unchecked doesn't seem to make any difference.

I just want a blank page when launching Safari - always.

MacBook, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 22, 2019 6:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2019 7:19 AM

If you are not using the current Safari 13.0.3, then your preferences may appear different. Apple is known for that.

On the Apple menu, the Restart, Shutdown, and Logout selections present a dialog that by default is set to reopen application windows. You need to launch each of these, uncheck that selection, and then cancel the dialog. This works in concert with the System Preferences : General setting that you changed.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 23, 2019 7:19 AM in response to bigalwood

If you are not using the current Safari 13.0.3, then your preferences may appear different. Apple is known for that.

On the Apple menu, the Restart, Shutdown, and Logout selections present a dialog that by default is set to reopen application windows. You need to launch each of these, uncheck that selection, and then cancel the dialog. This works in concert with the System Preferences : General setting that you changed.

Nov 22, 2019 3:25 PM in response to VikingOSX

Mine does not. Upon launch it opens every single tab that was open when o closed it. If I had 5 tabs, it opens those 5 tabs AND the websites they were on. If it was one tab, then it opens that one tab to the last webpage I was using. Not once has it opened to a blank page.

Yes when safari is already launched and I want to open another tab.

Opening Safari to a blank page

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.