You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod stops playing music

Anyone having this problem? Msgs from a year ago indicated this problem. We’ve had HomePod almost a year and it worked fine. Any solutions?

Posted on Nov 24, 2019 1:46 PM

10 replies

Nov 27, 2019 11:04 AM in response to Twins1975

Hi Twins1975,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help today with your HomePod. It sounds like it isn't playing music for you.

This article has some steps to try: If HomePod isn't responding. Be sure your HomePod is updated: Update HomePod, before you follow the steps to reset.

If the issue continues, please contact Apple Support.

Have a fantastic day

Nov 28, 2019 6:51 PM in response to Twins1975

Yes, I'm having this issue.

I just replaced the home pod thru the genius bar, (for the same reason) and the audio is still muting.

Perhaps not as often when the volume is higher. Ive tried moving the home pod to another airport wifi, same thing, I'm curious if you notice that it does not mute as often or ever when the level is high. Played one album and it muted at least every song low, just turned it up for a play list and it hasn't muted since. (30 minutes)

Noticed this started about 4 - 6 weeks ago. (all updates are current) Using Music From my MacBook Air, I use Airport network, and have several Yamaha Network players. I airplay to the Home pod and the Yamaha network player, the network player continues to work, the Home pod mutes???

A screen capture of the home pod going to - minus sign, and air play changing from blue to orange.

Dec 19, 2019 12:11 PM in response to DougDuey

The stereo equipment that I airplay to is airplay one compatible, the vendor (Yamaha) has yet to provide updates to make them airplay 2 compatible.

I was able to add a spare airport express to my network and it feeds Audio to the Stereo, this is working and allows HomePod and the stereo to be in sync, HomePod no longer looses connection.

Jan 6, 2020 10:01 AM in response to parsnipss

I am just coming back with a question to all the guys experiencing the same bad habit :)

Do you use for the network connection Google WiFi devices?

I am asking this question because I had several problems before with my iPad Pro 9.7 that was switching from time to time from 5 Ghz to 2.4 Ghz and back and it was stopping the playback of music. My thought was this might be the case also for the Homepod communication issue - the Google Wifi devices.

Jan 7, 2020 12:37 PM in response to parsnipss

It seems that having more than one Mac up and running with the same Home Sharing account enabled causes this problem. I am not sure if this only applies to Macs running Catalina (Preferences/Sharing/Home Sharing enabled). In any case disabling Home Sharing on all Macs but my streaming media server (Mac mini with iTunes 12.8.2.3) fixed the problem for me. Now my Homepod works just fine. I hope this helps until Apple comes up with a fix.

HomePod stops playing music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.