You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'd like to setup my new mac from scratch, but still backup to my existing time machine backups. possible?

I've got a new Mac on order. My old one has been restored and restored and restored (we're talking at least three hardware transfers, here) I'd love to start from scratch on the new machine, but I'd really like to be able to recover things using my old time machine backups.

I'm just not sure whether that's do-able from the info I see. It seems that I'd have to either restore from backup (which is what i've done so many times) or I would have to just browse the filesystems.

is there another, in-between, way where I can start from scratch, and assign the Time Machine backups to the new machine but not actually have to restore from them?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 25, 2019 5:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2019 7:06 PM

I'm not quite sure I completely understand what you want to do, but if you hold an option key while selecting the Time Machine icon in your Mac's menu bar, a selection "Browse Other Backup Disks..." will appear. Perhaps that will accomplish what you seek.

Having said that, all my new Macs since forever have had their contents populated from the ones they replaced. That goes back before macOS was known as macOS, even before OS X, which is getting to be 20+ years by now. When you initially set up a new Mac it will ask you if you want to transfer contents from another Mac or its Time Machine backup. It doesn't really matter which of those two options you choose, but that's what I do, and what I recommend. The transition will be as seamless as practicable.

Of course if you want to forego that option that's ok too. The older one's TM backups will remain unaltered and available for you to use.

Set up your new Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 25, 2019 7:06 PM in response to CrazySharck

I'm not quite sure I completely understand what you want to do, but if you hold an option key while selecting the Time Machine icon in your Mac's menu bar, a selection "Browse Other Backup Disks..." will appear. Perhaps that will accomplish what you seek.

Having said that, all my new Macs since forever have had their contents populated from the ones they replaced. That goes back before macOS was known as macOS, even before OS X, which is getting to be 20+ years by now. When you initially set up a new Mac it will ask you if you want to transfer contents from another Mac or its Time Machine backup. It doesn't really matter which of those two options you choose, but that's what I do, and what I recommend. The transition will be as seamless as practicable.

Of course if you want to forego that option that's ok too. The older one's TM backups will remain unaltered and available for you to use.

Set up your new Mac - Apple Support

Nov 25, 2019 9:10 PM in response to CrazySharck

IIRC, i can probably back up to the same external TM disk(s) that my current machine does, but the new machine's backups won't overwrite the other backups.

That's correct.

I just prefer to delete old / unused files manually. 32 bit apps simply won't load in Catalina. They occupy space, but that's all. You can delete those things at your leisure. If I come across a file dated sometime in the last century I probably don't need it. There really aren't that many places for things to hide, besides, macOS's recent "reduce clutter" option makes it easy to find old and unused files.

Nov 25, 2019 8:30 PM in response to John Galt

Thanks for the response, John.

I will try the option key trick when the new machine arrives. IIRC, i can probably back up to the same external TM disk(s) that my current machine does, but the new machine's backups won't overwrite the other backups. Then if I find something I need to have on the new machine, I can grab it off the old backups.

As to why... well, i think I've accumulated a lot of cruft that I don't need on my drive. Sure, I've got a 1TB drive, but no need to have a bunch of old 32bit apps and other data and configs I no longer use/need hanging around. No good reason to do it, but it will give me a chance to start setup afresh, and remind myself what it is I need to do to setup a new machine.

Nov 26, 2019 8:14 AM in response to John Galt

Yeah. all true. I suppose my issue is that I recall in the last couple of years I spent quite a bit of time detangling some leftover daemons that some were left behind when I dragged it's app bundle to the trash. Editing startup files was something I'd not done for over 25 years. I took a look at the contents of /Library and realized there may be things being left behind when I drag the app bundle to the trash. If that weren't the case, I'd just keep rolling forward with TM restores.

Once again, Thank You!

I'd like to setup my new mac from scratch, but still backup to my existing time machine backups. possible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.