You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with Apple TV app after installing Catalina

I like to buy SD TV shows in iTunes/Apple TV. Since I installed Catalina on my macbook, the option isn't there. Is there a way to buy SD in Catalina? I'd appreciate any advice before I update my other Mac

MacBook, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 25, 2019 8:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2019 11:52 AM

Hi mufan2,

Since the questions you have are regarding the purchasing options you're seeing with the "up to SD" setting selected, the next step will be to Contact Apple Support, for more assistance. Once on the support site, select Music, Apps & Services > iTunes Store > Subscriptions & Purchases.

Enjoy the day!

Similar questions

5 replies

Nov 30, 2019 5:16 AM in response to mufan2

Hello mufan2, 

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. I understand that you'd like to only make SD purchases of TV shows from your Apple TV and iTunes. 

With macOS Catalina you can change the quality of the shows with can be downloaded by going to the Apple TV app > Preferences > Playback > Download Quality > make the setting up to SD. Keep in mind if you purchase HD or higher, then you can play higher-quality versions as your devices can accommodate them. Check out this article for more information on how to watch the highest-quality video available: Find and watch movies with 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision, or Dolby Atmos

Cheers!

Nov 30, 2019 1:11 PM in response to Matthew.S81

Thanks for the reply Matthew.S81, but I already had "up to SD" selected in download quality, but when I go to purchase an episode, only the HD option shows up. I was wondering if there is a way to get the option to choose between purchasing HD and SD, as I still do on my mack running Mojave. I guess what I'm wondering, is Catalina going to require me to pay for HD, but then allow me to download it in SD quality? Seems kind of shady, since SD is still available on the other operating systems. It's a bit inconvenient to have to go to my other computer, make my purchase, then come to my Catalina laptop to download them. Am I missing a way to turn on the option to choose between HD and SD for purchases in Catalina??

Dec 1, 2019 1:14 PM in response to i_rina

Thanks i_rina. I was hoping it was a simple setting to change in Catalina. However, I followed your advice, and now know, after a lengthy chat with Brittany, there is currently NO option to purchase SD in apple tv/iTunes running Catalina. It might be added in an update, but maybe not. According to Brittany, "This is something our engineers are working on and we haven't released an update for it yet." When pressed for whether an update is truly in the works, the response was "There are talks to correct this issue, but only our engineers know for sure if and when this correction will be made." Doesn't leave me with much hope. Hope this information might be useful to others who might be wondering if there is a solution to this, because currently there is none.

Problems with Apple TV app after installing Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.