You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I buy TV shows in SD (the cheaper version) with Catalina

I just got talked into upgrading to Catalina on my Mac notebook. Suddenly, I can't buy a TV show in the SD version. Is it possible to do this or did I, with this upgrade, incur a 50% markup ($1.99 to $2.99) on everything I purchase?

There are solutions out there about going into "Settings" and choosing options, but there is not a "Settings" option on a MacBook Pro. I can't find anything under "Preferences".

On this MacBook Pro, there is an option to not download anything but SD, and to choose a lower resolution of "Good", which I did, but that didn't change the price at all, and I still had to buy the HD version. It seems that choosing not to download anything but SD is to solve problems of people with slow download speeds, but it doesn't seem to set things to "buy" (and only pay for) SD.

Is this a trick? Do I have to buy HD, or nothing, from now on?

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 9:28 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2020 9:00 AM

Heyerdahl wrote:

I just got talked into upgrading to Catalina on my Mac notebook. Suddenly, I can't buy a TV show in the SD version. Is it possible to do this or did I, with this upgrade, incur a 50% markup ($1.99 to $2.99) on everything I purchase?
There are solutions out there about going into "Settings" and choosing options, but there is not a "Settings" option on a MacBook Pro. I can't find anything under "Preferences".
On this MacBook Pro, there is an option to not download anything but SD, and to choose a lower resolution of "Good", which I did, but that didn't change the price at all, and I still had to buy the HD version. It seems that choosing not to download anything but SD is to solve problems of people with slow download speeds, but it doesn't seem to set things to "buy" (and only pay for) SD.

In Settings , go to Apps > iTunes Movies and TV Shows to change these and other settings.

Change the video resolution for purchases and rentals. By default, you rent, purchase, and play back iTunes videos in 1080p, which requires a fast Internet connection. If you have a slower connection, select Video Resolution and choose a lower resolution.

Change the video resolution for previews. By default, iTunes previews are high definition (HD). To view standard definition (SD) previews, choose Standard Definition.

it used to be under settings > iTunes Store, now it's under settings > apps.

On the Apple TV you go into the Settings app, hen to the Apps option,

then to the iTunes Movies and TV Shows Option, there you should see an

option to “limit Purchases and rentals to SD, you just need to make sure

it’s set to ‘ON’

ref: Buy movies and TV shows from the Apple TV app - Apple ...

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 1, 2020 9:00 AM in response to Heyerdahl

Heyerdahl wrote:

In Settings , go to Apps > iTunes Movies and TV Shows to change these and other settings.

Change the video resolution for purchases and rentals. By default, you rent, purchase, and play back iTunes videos in 1080p, which requires a fast Internet connection. If you have a slower connection, select Video Resolution and choose a lower resolution.

Change the video resolution for previews. By default, iTunes previews are high definition (HD). To view standard definition (SD) previews, choose Standard Definition.

it used to be under settings > iTunes Store, now it's under settings > apps.

On the Apple TV you go into the Settings app, hen to the Apps option,

then to the iTunes Movies and TV Shows Option, there you should see an

option to “limit Purchases and rentals to SD, you just need to make sure

it’s set to ‘ON’

ref: Buy movies and TV shows from the Apple TV app - Apple ...

Apr 1, 2020 10:18 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks so much, but I think miswrote my question. I don't have "Apple TV", in the sense that I haven't signed up or paid for anything like that. I think I called it "Apple TV" because that is what the icon now reads.

I watch videos that I buy from iTunes on my computer--no special "Apple TV" subscription involved. Before the upgrade, the music note icon (iTunes) allowed me to choose Music, Movies, TV shows, and when I chose TV shows, I had the choice of buying in HD or SD. Now, those things are separated and, for TV shows, there is an icon with a picture of an apple, followed by "tv".

When I bring up whatever this is, it shows things that I can buy, but there is no option for SD purchase.

The options for this TV feature are as follows: TV, File, Edit, Video, View, Controls, Account, Window, Help. Under "TV", I can go to "Preferences" and there is an option to change streaming quality and download SD. But, when set those options, the price of the TV show doesn't change--A TV show that, in SD cost $1.99 yesterday still seems to only be able to be purchased for $2.99 today (in HD) today with this upgrade.

I'm fairly unfamiliar with these advice sites. Did I post this to the wrong place? Should I not have posted it to "Apple TV" but to something else?

Again, thanks for taking the time to try to help me.

How do I buy TV shows in SD (the cheaper version) with Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.