You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issue with using Airplay from Itunes on a desktop computer to Homepod

Can anyone help. I cannot seem to get airplay to work for more than a few minutes from itunes on my computer to the homepod.

I tried disabling the IPv6 connection and that hasn't solved it. I alos read somethign about disabling QoS on the router (my xfinity router gateway doesnt have that option in any event).

I'm truly at my wits end and the homepod really isn't getting used like i used to use my old Sony airplay enabled speaker because of this.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Dec 10, 2019 3:47 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2019 8:45 AM

I have the same problem. I have two Homepods and an iHome speaker connected to my home WiFi (an update Apple Airport router). When listening to music from iTunes on my iMac. The Homepods stop playing every 2-3 minutes while the iHome speaker keeps playing. Looking under the connected speakers box in iTunes, both Homepods are still connected but now have a (–) instead of a check. Clicking on the Homepods makes them start playing again.

All software is updated (though my Mac is still running High Sierra). The suggested articles have not helped.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 14, 2019 8:45 AM in response to rose_10

I have the same problem. I have two Homepods and an iHome speaker connected to my home WiFi (an update Apple Airport router). When listening to music from iTunes on my iMac. The Homepods stop playing every 2-3 minutes while the iHome speaker keeps playing. Looking under the connected speakers box in iTunes, both Homepods are still connected but now have a (–) instead of a check. Clicking on the Homepods makes them start playing again.

All software is updated (though my Mac is still running High Sierra). The suggested articles have not helped.

Dec 14, 2019 7:46 AM in response to Inthedeep

Hello Inthedeep.

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. I understand that when your use AirPlay from your Mac to your HomePod that it disconnects after a few minutes. I’m happy to help.

If you haven’t done so already, please restart your Mac and your router. Do you get an error message? If so, what is the exact error message you receive?

Let’s try the steps here: If AirPlay or screen mirroring isn’t working on your device - Apple Support

Does the AirPlay work as expected when trying the steps here: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

Take care.

Dec 14, 2019 5:03 PM in response to Inthedeep

Welcome back Inthedeep.

Did the HomePod work as expected in the test user account? If not, please try the steps here: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

I also recommend using the steps here to update the HomePod: Update HomePod - Apple Support

If you still need help, please contact Apple Support here: Get Support

Take care.

Dec 19, 2019 12:25 PM in response to morc_37

I airplay to a stereo and HomePod, HomePod really adds depth to the sound... until it started to loose it's connection.

The stereo equipment that I airplay too, is airplay one compatible, the vendor (Yamaha) has yet to provide updates to make them airplay 2 compatible.

I was able to add a spare airport express to my network and it feeds Audio to the Stereo, this is working and allows HomePod and the stereo to be in sync, HomePod is no longer loosing connection.

The living room stereo is airplay one, the HomePod would loose it's connection (often around 30 seconds into a song) The stereo would continue to play.

Air-playing to both for ~ 9 months worked well, issues started when airplay2 was released about 2 months ago.

Dec 14, 2019 1:13 PM in response to morc_37

I accidentally hit solved to your reply Morc (when it’s not) but this is exactly

it!!

i also get the homepods appearing as (-) and if I click it pretty much reconnects again straight away.

There must be a reason why the HomePod is behaving this way specifically from a computer (this doesn’t happen via my phone)

I just find it so much easier to control a playlist or song selection from iTunes than I would scrolling into my music library on the phone.

Issue with using Airplay from Itunes on a desktop computer to Homepod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.