You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Add custom text to split screen video

I have two videos in iMovie that are playing side by side using the Split Screen option. I would like to add some custom text overlayed on top of the videos. I tried using one of the titles but my text does not show up exactly where I want it. I tried creating a transparent PNG image that contains the text but when I insert the PNG image it does not allow me to insert on top of the video. It basically replaces one of the videos in the split screen. Is it possible to add custom text to a split screen video?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 10, 2019 8:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2019 9:18 PM

Yes, as you have found, one cannot stack overlay features within a project.

In your case, create your split screen video clips in a separate project. Share it out to your desk top. Then drag the shared out clip into the timeline of your original project. Now you can add and position your title where you want, or overlay a transparency.

— Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 10, 2019 9:18 PM in response to nikos2wheels

Yes, as you have found, one cannot stack overlay features within a project.

In your case, create your split screen video clips in a separate project. Share it out to your desk top. Then drag the shared out clip into the timeline of your original project. Now you can add and position your title where you want, or overlay a transparency.

— Rich

Add custom text to split screen video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.