You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No video when playing movies or TV shows downloaded from iTunes on new 2019 iMac

Brand new iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)

macOS up to date: Catalina v10.15.2

When I try to play Movies and TV shows that were purchased from iTunes on the iMac via the Apple TV app, I hear the audio but only see a black window--there is no video.

If I try to play them with QuickTime Player, I get the following message:

This Movie cannot be played because it is on a display that is not authorized to play protected movies.

Try moving this window to a different display or disconnecting any displays that are not HDCP authorized.

I do not have any additional displays attached to this machine. I have tried logging out of and back into my Apple account, I have re-downloaded the content, double-checked to ensure the computer is authorized and I have unplugged my OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock.

Does this mean the iMac is not HDCP compliant?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 15, 2019 6:32 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2019 4:02 AM

Help article:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT207060

You can also call Apple for assistance with your new Mac.

call (800) MY-APPLE(800-692-7753), Monday–Friday from 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Pacific Time; Saturday from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.; closed on Sunday.

Similar questions

1 reply

No video when playing movies or TV shows downloaded from iTunes on new 2019 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.