You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Greyed out documents in Pages in iPad pro

A previous question explained that some formats eg pdf can’t be opened in Pages after trying to save there and just show as grey titles. How do I get rid of these greyed out document titles which are now just clutter?

iPad Pro, iOS 13

Posted on Dec 16, 2019 3:49 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2019 4:55 PM

Hello,

When you first open Pages it will display a list of documents which are saved in your Pages folder within the Files application. The Pages folder is either stored on iCloud Drive or On My iPad.

.ODT and .PDF files are not supported by Pages and cannot be imported. Pages supports importing .TXT, .RTF, .DOC, .DOCX, .Pages, etc. You would need to find other applications that could read .ODT and .PDF.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 16, 2019 4:55 PM in response to Broomage

Hello,

When you first open Pages it will display a list of documents which are saved in your Pages folder within the Files application. The Pages folder is either stored on iCloud Drive or On My iPad.

.ODT and .PDF files are not supported by Pages and cannot be imported. Pages supports importing .TXT, .RTF, .DOC, .DOCX, .Pages, etc. You would need to find other applications that could read .ODT and .PDF.

Dec 16, 2019 4:50 PM in response to QuickPost

Thanks for the reply. A latecomer to Apple and iPad so allow me some patience if you will.

Where do I locate the folder in the Files application you mention so I can try that remedy? Holding and dragging the grey files just opens a comment “Couldn’t import document. File format is invalid”. Dragging off screen doesn’t get rid of it.

File extensions in grey were ’saved’ to Pages (but didn’t) from a .odt file from Apache Open Office from an Acer laptop; a .pdf file from a Yahoo email attachment and an IMG photo from my iPhone. All turned out grey.

Greyed out documents in Pages in iPad pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.