You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Greyed out files in Pages

I created originally in files Pages on my iPad. I exported them as a pdf. Now some of my Pages-created files are greyed out and I have can't open to edit.

How do I get them back to edit them?

Posted on Oct 13, 2021 1:15 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2021 1:16 PM

Sorry for the poor sentence...I originally created files in Pages, on my iPad.

I exported some of them as a pdf. Now some of my Pages-created files are greyed out and I can't open them.

How do I get them back so I can edit them?

2 replies

Oct 13, 2021 2:01 PM in response to niels193

Pages cannot open or edit PDF files. That is why they appear greyed out in the File chooser. They would need to be saved in their normal document format as .pages. If you created content without saving it in Pages, and only exported to PDF, then the original content is lost forever.

You can open those PDF in Apple's Preview (PDF reader), and copy/paste that content into a new Pages document, which would then likely need reformatting.

If you have access to MS Word 16.31 or later (now 16.53.*), it can open PDF and convert them to Word .docx files, which you can subsequently open in Pages.

Greyed out files in Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.